Sunday, August 5, 2012

Snowman Cupacke Decoration Tutorial



I made these for Alan's brother's Christmas in July party. They were super easy to make, although a tad time consuming.




I know, it looks like it's impending doom is coming in the form of a knife...but we ate him instead. 



So here's the deal: I am a terrible cake decorator. I have an Aunt who can make cakes look too good too eat. I do not have this gene. I've tried. I think you need a steady hand and an artistic eye - of which I have neither.

So I've come to terms that I'm better at decorating with prefixed items. I've made that kit kat-m&m cake. I've decorated with hershey bars and graham cracker dust for S'more's cupcakes. I need things that are already composed and just need placement.

These cupcakes require:

  • White Icing
  • Granulated Sugar
  • Chocolate Wafers
  • Chocolate Chips
  • Mini Chocolate Chips
  • Orange Slices (My favorite!)
First ice any cupcake with the white icing. Pour sugar in a shallow dish and immediately dip the top lightly into sugar to get a crystallized look. 

Place 2 chocolate chips for eyes and 6-8 for the mouth or smile. Cut up orange slices to make smaller triangles and use this for the nose.

The hardest part is the hat. For this we used a serrated knife to cut the wafers in four sections like this:

Use the wide parts as the top hat, and narrow strips for the brim. The top hat is my favorite part.


No comments:

Post a Comment