Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rutabaga Fries

We're bringing Rutabaga back.



Let me tell you why. You know how you call your loved ones names that out of context sound completely absurd? For intsance, I call my dog "Pigeon" alot. Not sure where it came from. His name is Cody - so it makes zero sense. Husband, Alan doesn't get it. And that's fine for me - but one night, when we were saying goodnight I said something like "Goodnight, Pumpkin" and without batting an eye he returns "Alright goodnight Rutabaga"

I know it's not as funny now but I literally laughed so hard I cried. It was so random and obviously he meant it to be. He thinks all nicknames are random. But it was so absurd I couldn't help but love it. Rutabaga. I never even tried one of those - I certainly couldn't pick it out of a fruit and veggie line up, and neither could Alan.

Well for a while Alan regularly called me rutabaga. It's my favorite nickname I've ever had because it's just so ridiculous. After a few weeks of it though, we realized, neither of us have ever had Rutabaga, or new what it was. So we tried it - with much apprehension. Alan cut it up into smaller cubes, cooked them through and then mashed them like potatoes.

It was awesome. A really good replacement for potatoes since they're slightly healthier. Well now we're hooked. We got 3 more rutabaga waiting to be experimented on: But here are some Rutabaga fries!

What you'll need:
1 Rutabaga
2 TBS of olive oil
1 tbs on cornstarch
1tsp of parsley
1tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of onion powder
(this is one of those flexible dishes, you can use any spice profile you want)

1.  Rinse rutabaga and use a vegetable peeler to remove waxy skin. It's much easier than I suspected it would be.

2. Rinse rutabaga again and cut it into quarters, then continue to cut the sections into smaller strips, whatever size you'd like the fries to be.

3. Put strips into a bowl and coat with olive oil then coat with cornstarch and your other spices. The cornstarch helps to stiffen fries, since we're baking them.


4. Bake fries for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Stir about half way through cooking time to fully crisp both sides. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment