Saturday, September 8, 2012

DIY Welcome Doormat

My sister bought a townhouse a few weeks ago. She's having people over for the first time and I spent some time thinking about what I would be getting her for her new place. Well - did I tell you I'm a pun connoisseur? Well I am, and it runs in the family.

So I decided to make a welcome mat with a topic pun on it. I spent some time looking up puns on the internet and here were some of my final options.

"Thank goodness you're here! It's been unBEARable without you." (bear)
"Come on in! LION down" (Lion)
"Whale, Whale, Whale - Look who's here." (3x Whales)

Well I went with the whale one. Whales are cute and kind of trendy right now. So here's the how to:

You will need:

  • Spray paint of your choice ( I chose black - matte )
  • Sheets of cardstock (or something that can be used as a stencil)
  • Blank Door Mat
  • Exacto Knife

Tape together enough card stock to completely cover your doormat.

I printed out templates for the whales and lettering because I'm no artist. Feel free to free hand! Do what you please! So stencil and cut out the design you'd like on your door mat.

Simply spray over the stencil and let dry! Super easy.


 Then I hand painted white around the details to make them more legible and obvious.





So it looked like this! Pretty simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment