Friday, July 20, 2012

Election 2012 Plug

I don't wish to spout my (many extreme) political opinions on this blog. I don't want alienate anyone with my personal views and opinions. But I will say one thing: I wish everyone in this country would vote. It's easy for me to say I'll be voting. I'm a politics junky. And I'm a nerd about it. It's a no-brainer for me. But for many people I know political discourse is just not on their radar. And that's fine. But I know tons of people who say they just don't know enough to really vote for a particular candidate.

I really believe that every person should have a say in the direction our country goes. I know it takes some research to really get to know candidates but... oh wait...it doesn't anymore! I'm super excited for this new website:  I Side With.... It's a very brief test that asks you your honest opinions on the bigger issues in politics (and I don't mean issues like what type of birth certificate you have or where your dog was when you went on vacation).

Then the site will list all of the current presidential candidates in order of who agrees with your thoughts the most and details in which areas each candidate agrees or differs from you. So many times these races become about anything but the issues. It's nice to find a site that simplifies it for people who may not watch the debates and gets sick of all the name calling in the commercials to get a raw idea of where the candidates stand.

I also appreciate that they include so called "third party" candidates that don't get their air time in the media. I really recommend trying it out. You may not care about the men and women who sit in political office, but the decisions they make alter our reality, and voting is our way of influencing those decisions.


No comments:

Post a Comment