Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chalkboard Paint Magic

I'm not going to lie; I went a bit chalkboard paint crazy for my wedding. But there are so many possibilities and for so much more than weddings. Chalkboard paint (and now magnetic paint) have made so many new possibilities for this DIY crafting type of activity. Here are my main 2 chalkboard paint projects:

1. Chalkboard Program:

Alan did most of the work for this.
We bought a sheet of compressed word and painted it first with primer and then with the chalkboard paint.
We also bought some molding to frame it out and painted it white.
We attached them with wood glue and clamped them over night.
Then you can just buy chalkboard markers (my roommate uses the same ones at Starbucks where she works) and have someone with nice penmanship write out your information (I used my roommate.)
Simple. Although we did the bulk of our painting in the basement of our apartment complex

. This initiated a loud and heated argument with my first floor neighbor. No worries though, she was always the worst. But the warning here is, keep the project in a well ventilated area.
            


2. Table Numbers:

Funny story. I made a couple blunders during my wedding planning stage. For one, I forgot to add my husband and me to our head count for our caterers...but another one was all of the sudden it was 3 days before my wedding, and I have no way of telling one table from the other. I had made all the guest cards and the seating arrangement without ever thinking "how are they going to know which table is table 10?" So, I had some extra chalkboard paint and I made these:

I got married on October 14, 2011. So if there was anything that was extremely available at the time, it was pumpkins. So Alan and went and bought 15 of them and this time, because of the aforementioned neighbor argument, brought them to my parents house.


I placed them on top of trash bags to protect the driveway and painted them directly. It might have been better to use a primer, but it worked out fine. They needed 2 full coats but I could only do half at a time, so it took 4 rounds of spraying. 

I loved this last minute table number, and it would have been relatively stress-free had it not been 3 days before the wedding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment