Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Cottage Cheese Ranch

Let me start off with saying: I detest cottage cheese. The texture creeps me out and I do not like the taste. But I do love ranch, and we need to add more vegetables to our diet. So I saw this ranch recipe that substitutes cottage cheese for the heavy mayo and buttermilk that ranch usually requires.

Well the husband loves cottage cheese, so I figured I'd give this a shot. The recipe called for only 3 ingredients, but one of those ingredients is a Hidden Valley Ranch dressing seasoning packet. I knew there were ways to make those seasonings with what I had in the cupboard, so here is what I ended up doing:

I mixed together in a Ziploc bag:

  • 2TBS Parsley Flakes
  • 1tsp Basil
  • 1tsp Onion Powder
  • 1tsp Garlic Powder
I shook the bag to get the spices mixed thoroughly and put to the side. I used a mason jar, but this is simple enough to really just start in whatever container you'll be storing your ranch in. It'll save you a dish to wash.

In the mason jar I added:
  • 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
  • 1/4 Cup Skim Milk
  • 1 TBS Ranch Spice Mixture


The recipe calls for this to be blended in a blender for 3 minutes. In an ideal world, I would own one of those. But since I don't, I just whisked away for about 10 minutes. I didn't really get rid of that curd texture I hate so much, but the taste is pretty good. I'm sure it would be amazing if we did have access to a blender. Hopefully this will encourage more veggie consumption for us. Atleast for this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment